Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Kampala

I do need to post what I found in Kampala, after lots of walking!  I had been ordered by a doctor in New York to promise not to hop on a boda-boda for any reason whatsoever.  These motorbike taxis are the number one cause of deaths of peace corps volunteers in Uganda!  So though Kampala is not too large- the downtown area at least, I insisted on walking back and forth as i looked for the  Kamapala Ballet and Modern Dance School at 34c  Kyadondo Road, Nakasero. Tel: (041) 4234691.  Mobile: +256 752 809676. Email: kbmds@one2netmail.co.ug  .   I have to admit that i did not end up taking a class there.  I was busy enough following my eight year old host around to her private dance classes the week that i was there.  I partook in a class taught by the wife of the European Union Ambassador.  I also have to confess that by this point the father of my eight year old host had since thrown me on the back of a boda-boda when we were racing back to his office at lunch time.  Thus i was set free and from there on i was all over that town by boda-boda.  However when i gave the address of this particular house, not knowing myself where it was as we slowly wound up the hill and arrived at the gated, guarded foot of a villa it is not surprising that the driver asked for double the usual price!  I may have been the first to take a boda-boda to that address.

In any case the ballet class was taught on the front terrace with a gorgeous view overlooking the city.  I was horrified to  find that the young students were dancing on stone.  Not an option for adults who still plan to walk into their old age.  Luckily the jumping requirements were not extensive as the greater part of the emphasis was placed on theatrical expression!  

No comments: