Monday, October 18, 2010

St. Petersburg, Russia


I have been remiss in not adding my experience in Russia. I was there last August, 2010, in St. Petersburg and Moscow. The Mariinsky Theater was closed (pic). The skies were often grey but I was well located downtown between the Hermitage and the Russian Museum. I found an independent ballet teacher who rented a studio on Vasalevski Island. Her name is Yiliana Malashevskaya, 915-8541. This turned out to be much closer by bus than by the profound St. Petersburgian subway. The depth of the subway adds 15 to 20 minutes to your trip. Yes, it takes that long just get down there and back up. You could read a book. You find many couples face to face kissing or having intimate conversations. Otherwise it took me a few days to figure out the right bus which took about twenty minutes door to door. I love buses! My sister, Eleanor, says that I am going to take a bus around the world one day! But it gives me great pleasure to figure out a new city bus system- in Beirut, Buenos Aires, Beijing, and here in St. Petersburg.

No comments: